Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Urine Analysis


So in my Anatomy and Physiology class we are learning the inner workings of the urinary system. For lab we brought in a "sample" (by sample I mean our urine in a cup). Gross! The entire class smelt of urea...

~Fact of the Day: urea is found in more than just urine; .01% of saliva is composed of urea~

So to continue... the class went on as usual. Our professor instructed us on how to complete the lab.  She showed us how to test for trace amounts of leukocytes, blood, and other such things that are found in urine normally and abnormally. She then went on to tell us how professionals might test urine as well.  She said professionals would be able to tell what is an urine just by sent.  She then sniffed her sample. Further, she said the professionals of the very best could even recognize abnormalities by taste.  At which time, she tilted her sample cup back and took a sip!  The entire class was silent!  She commented on the silence, turned around, and pulled out a container of white grape apple juice to show to the class: "Delicious!"

Once I got home, I thought to myself, what if I had filled my sample cup up with apple juice too. I would have tipped my cup up and turned the joke back on her. I can see her face now saying, "You weren't really suppose to drink it, mine was just juice..." Just for the fun of it, I think I would have tipped it again and gulped the rest down!
Ha, Science!

No comments:

Post a Comment